MSW – Two-Year Program
The two-year MSW program is designed for students who have received a non-BSW bachelor degree from a recognized university.
The first year of the program provides training in foundational social work knowledge and skills. The second year of the program provides students with an opportunity to specialize in a specific field of study (as listed below). Degree requirements are normally completed within two years, with a maximum time length of three years.
The two-year program consists of 17 half-credit courses, except in the Gerontology field of study where the requirement is 18 half-credit courses. The practicum courses, over the course of two years, are equivalent to one and a half credit courses.
Year One Courses and Requirements:
Required Core Courses:
- SWK 4102H Social Policy and Social Welfare in the Canadian Context
- SWK 4103H Elements of Social Work Practice
- SWK 4105H Social Work Practice Laboratory
- SWK 4107H Foundations of Social Work: Knowledge, Theory and Values that Inform Practice
- SWK 4510H Research for Evidence-Based Social Work Practice
- SWK 4602H Social Work Practice with Groups
- SWK 4605H Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SWK 4654H Social Work Practice in Organizations and Communities
- SWK 4701H Social Work Practicum I (January – May 31st)
- The Courses page is under construction and is being categorized into Required and Elective
- Practicum is completed in the Winter Session (January-May) or Summer Session1 (end of April-August) [0.5 credits]1To assist with planning, students taking the summer practicum option are asked to notify the Practicum Office by October 1st
Year Two Courses and Requirements:
Required and Elective Courses
In the second year, students specialize in one of the following fields of study and follow the course requirements of the selected field of study:
- Children and their Families
- Human Services Management & Leadership
- Mental Health & Health
- Social Justice & Diversity
- Social Work in Gerontology
To learn more about choosing your field of study and elective options, click here.
- Practicum is completed from September to April and must comply with the selected field of study [1.0 credits]
Please see the MSW Program Booklet for further program details.
Our program offers several collaborative specializations to students.
Students have the opportunity to participate in one of the world’s largest Interprofessional Education programs.
The MSW Thesis Option may be available to a maximum of three students in any given year and is subject to faculty availability.