1. Candidates for admission to the Two-Year MSW Full-Time Program require an appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, and shall have achieved at least a mid-B or better in the final year of full-time study or equivalent, in senior level courses (300 or 400 level).
Note: According to the School of Graduate Studies Calendar, section 5.1, “an appropriate bachelor’s degree that has appropriate breadth, depth and, where appropriate, an affinity to the graduate program to which the applicant is seeking admission as determined by the School of Graduate Studies”.
2. Candidates for admission to the MSW Program with Advanced Standing require a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a recognized university, and shall have achieved at least a mid-B or better in the final year of full-time study (or equivalent).
3. All applicants must have completed satisfactorily at least three full courses, or their equivalent, in the social sciences, to include a half-credit course in research methodology, preferably in the social sciences. A grade less than mid-B in the required half-credit course in research methodology will lessen the applicant’s probability of admission.
4. Experience (voluntary or paid) in the social services and knowledge of critical social issues are recommended. Suitability for professional practice will also be considered.
5. Must show evidence of facility in the English language. If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, then you must demonstrate your facility in English by completing one of the tests listed below:
- TOEFL Paper-Based Test Score of 580 and TWE Score of 5
- Internet–based TOEFL Test Score of 22/30 for both the Writing and Speaking Sections, with an overall TOEFL Score of 93/120
- IELTS Minimum required score: 7.0 (Academic) with at least 6.5 for each component
- The Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE) – Required score: 76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component)
- International ESL Program, School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto Required score: a final grade of B in Level 60
For more information on the English language facility requirement please see the School of Graduate Studies web site.
6. Candidates for the MSW Program with Advanced Standing (students entering with a BSW degree) must indicate on the MSW Program Application Form: (1) field of study; and (2) indicate a preference for full-time or part-time studies.