Application Instructions and Deadlines
The Online Application Portal is now open.
- School of Graduate Studies Online Application and Application Fee
- Unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions attended (college and university)
- Two References
- MSW-ITR Personal Statement
PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
About the Application:
Applications to the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) using an online application which is housed on a secure server at the University of Toronto. The online application allows applicants to manage and submit biographical and educational information, as well as specific documentation, outlined below, immediately to the University of Toronto. Applicants can edit an in-progress application and check the status of all documents submitted using a secure password and Userid. An email account is needed to complete the online application, as the University of Toronto will correspond with applicants using email.
Applications are considered complete and are reviewed only after all documentation is received.
In order to be considered for enrolment in this program, applicants must have work experience in any of the fields of social work, psychology, addictions, community intervention, nursing or traditional healing and medicines.
While this work may resonate with many people, preference will be given to individuals who have both addressed their personal trauma and have done work in the community in a capacity as noted above.
The application process will consist of two stages:
- Review of the application documents;
- Interview for those applicants who pass through the application review
Commitment to community healing is a key factor in developing this program and potential learners will be considered based on their ability to identify a personal willingness to learn about themselves, a commitment to community wellness and readiness to take on pertinent projects.
How to Apply:
- Log in to the online application.
- Provide the biographical and education information
- Provide contact information for your referees. Be sure to inform your referees that you are doing this and that the University of Toronto, SGS will be contacting them
- Upload your supporting documentation directly onto the online application portal
- Submit your payment to finalize your application by November 28, 2023
Notes about the application portal:
You may save and return to the application at any point in the process.
You will be required to enter information for your referees. Your referees will automatically receive a notification email that they have been requested to complete a reference for your application, along with instructions to submit their reference in the application system.
If you need to send a reminder email to your existing referees, you can do so through the applicant portal.
All application documentation is submitted electronically through the SGS online application portal.
To view the status of your application, please log in to your account to view your applicant status portal.
- SGS Online Application: Please select:
MSW – Social Work (Field: Indigenous Trauma and Resiliency)
- Application Fee: The total application fee is $125. Payment is made at the time of application online using only a Visa or Mastercard credit card. Applications will not be processed until the application fee is received. The system will not accept payment via Visa debit or Mastercard debit.
- TRANSCRIPTS OF ACADEMIC RECORDS – You are required to upload one electronic transcript from each post-secondary institution attended (colleges, including CEGEP, and universities). Electronic transcripts must be up to date and include the “legend” which is usually printed on the back of the paper transcript. Please ensure that the file is complete and readable before submitting.
Note: if you are offered admission, submission of all academic official transcripts will be a condition of admission. Transcripts are considered official if received directly from the academic institution.
- Transfer Credit Statement: If you received transfer credits towards your undergraduate degree for courses completed at another academic institution, and if the number of transfer credits awarded do not appear on the transcript, we will require an official statement from the university confirming the number of transfer credits awarded. This document can be uploaded via the SGS portal, under the document labeled: Transfer Credit Statement.
- Reference Forms: The University of Toronto, SGS online application system facilitates the online submission of reference letters. Detailed instructions are provided within the system. Two references are required. Learn more about the reference template.
The Admissions Committee will only review two references. Personal references are not appropriate (e.g. relatives, friends). References are acceptable from the following:
- Academic from a University course instructor
- Work, Volunteer Setting, or from a Practicum instructor/supervisor
- Traditional Teacher, mentor, or professional colleague
You will be asked to provide contact information for your referees, including a valid institutional/organizational email address, if available. The system will send an email to each of your referees, inviting them to submit the completed form directly to the application database using a secure interface. The email will include reference instructions and the reference form.
It is important to communicate with your referees well in advance of submitting your online application for admission to confirm contact information and ensure they are willing and able to provide a reference by the deadline date.
A valid institution or organization email address is necessary for a referee to upload their letter. Email addresses that are shared, anonymous, generic or not linked to an institution, organization or business are not acceptable (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo!). We strongly suggest you choose a referee who has a valid institution or organization email address.
If an individual does not have a valid email address, look at designating a different referee. If (despite your best effort) absolutely no alternative referee with a valid institution or organization email address is possible, you can enter a non-institution or non-organization email address in the online admissions application (it is not necessary to contact us). Be aware this may delay review of your application as we must verify the authenticity of reference letters received in this manner. For every referee, enter a telephone number where they can be reached for our verification purposes.
PLEASE NOTE: The following Items must be submitted in electronic form only (PDF is preferred) by uploading them directly to the SGS online application portal.
5. MSW-ITR Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please Note: It is important to include the duration (number of months/years) and hours per month for each work, practica, and volunteer experience. Your CV must clearly differentiate if your experience has been paid, voluntary, or through practica. Please list volunteer experience separately from paid employment.
Please include the following headings for the CV:
- All post-secondary experiences, including degrees/diplomas not completed or in progress.
- Please indicate any other training/certifications/workshops/education you have received, including information about the training topic and the length of training.
- Please indicate all your work experience, including any of the areas of social work, psychology, addictions, nursing, cultural healing practices or other relevant areas of practice.
- Volunteer Work; Practica and Internships:
- Please indicate all your volunteer, practica, or internship experience.
- The Field Practicum Experience is only required if you have a BSW degree. Describe all of your BSW field practicum experiences and include the following:
- Name of Organization
- Dates in Placement
- Practicum Instructor’s Name, Work Title/Position and Degree Held
- Briefly outline your assignments in this Practicum
- Cultural Healing Practices:
- Please indicate your work and understanding of cultural healing practices through any experiences you have with traditional healing and medicines.
- Please indicate any social/cultural training/practices/disciplines that you have received including information about that training topic and the length of training.
- Research Experience and Publications
- Please indicate any research projects you have worked on, what the research project was, the duration of the project, and your role on the project. (i.e.: Research Assistant Jobs; Title of Thesis or Research Project)
- Please indicate any publications you have written/co-written or have been part of the research team.
- Please indicate any awards you have received.
6. MSW–ITR PERSONAL STATEMENT QUESTIONS
The following essay questions form a critical part of the application and will be a determining factor in the selection process. While answers should be fully developed, please limit the length of responses to 400 words per question. Use separate pages for each question:
- What experiences motivated you to seek entry to this program?
- What knowledge and experience do you currently have that are relevant to this program?
- Describe how you believe an MSW in Indigenous Trauma and Resiliency will assist you in meeting the existing needs in your community.
- How do you balance wellness in times of stress?
- Identify one thing you are most excited about learning.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
Ensure your application is complete, as incomplete applications cannot be processed. You can check the status of your application documents by logging onto the SGS online application portal. It is your responsibility to ensure your application has been received. Advise our admissions office of any change in your contact information.
If you are recommended for admission, a non-refundable tuition deposit of $500.00 will be required to hold your place in the program to which you have been admitted.
Applicants who are completing their bachelor’s degree OR admission prerequisites must complete all course work by mid-August 2024. List all courses you will be taking during Fall 2023/Winter 2024 or Spring/Summer 2024 on the online application form.
Each year we receive many more qualified applications than spaces available in the program. The possession of the minimum admission requirements does not in itself guarantee admission. The Faculty reserves the right to select which qualified applicants it will recommend for admission to SGS. All decisions are final.
JOINid: Every applicant to the University of Toronto is assigned a JOINid. For graduate applicants, the JOINid gives early access to the online resources of the student housing office and the application site for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship program. If you begin studies at UofT, it will become your UTORid, which will allow you to access a number of services such as email, library resources, and Blackboard. When you receive this message from the School of Graduate Studies, at the time of application, be sure to save it as it will contain your personal JOINid.