Important Elements of a Successful Practicum
Students are invited to submit a Practicum Feedback Survey at the end of their practicum(s). Over the years, students have said that they found it useful and beneficial to:
- Have a comprehensive orientation.
- Have a discussion to clarify student roles, allowing the student to be efficient and maximize their hands-on learning opportunities.
- Have protected and structured supervision time.
- Determine with their Field Instructor what type of supervision/education worked best for the student in that setting; (students indicate they benefit from different types of supervision).
- Have some direct supervision of work.
- Feel part of the team/valued by the team.
- Feel supported by their Field Instructor.
- Work with their Field Instructor to ensure opportunities to develop of social work competencies are offered.
- Have a discussion with their Field Instructor about the importance of self-care for social workers, and ways to promote self-care.