Benefits of Becoming a Field Instructor
Influence the Development of Future Practitioners
- Offer real experience in the real world.
- Link theory to practice.
- Mentor and give back to the field.
- Role model:
- Working within systems on behalf of clients
- Ethical Behavior
- The use and importance of relationships
- The importance of encouraging and receiving feedback on your own work
- Self-assessment and self-critique as a means of professional self-development.
Take Advantage of Professional Development Opportunities
- Develop and maintain connections with the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work.
- Consult with your Education Coordinator and with your Faculty-Field Liaison.
- Ongoing professional development sessions on field education topics such as:
- Preparing for a student’s arrival
- Strategies for Integrating Theory and Practice
- Power and Authority in the student /field instructor relationship
- Providing constructive feedback
- Conflict Management
- Clinical Supervision.
- Certificate for Field Instructor professional development hours completed, which can be used to fulfill the OCSWSSW Continuing Competence Program requirements.
- Free CASWE Online Field Instructor certificate course. Contact Alexi Sparaggis for a Verification Code.
- Supervisors of MSW Gerontology Students can register for free to the Institute for Life Course and Aging Online Workshops:
- fill out a workshop registration form and select “Practicum Supervisors of MSW Gerontology Students” under “Other Registration Types.”
- Invitations to workshops and training offered at the university and in the community.
- Attend seminars by guest speakers.
- Participate in simulation research and activities, “Practice Fridays.”
- Facilitate Inter-professional Education (IPE) activities with professionals from other disciplines.
See the Courses and Professional Development page for full details about professional development opportunities.
- Opportunity to receive research funding for your agency through the Bertha Rosenstadt Trust Fund.
- Discount of 10% on designated courses through the School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto.
- Online access to University of Toronto Libraries journals and other resources.
- Eligibility for the designation of Adjunct Lecturer (PDF) with the FIFSW (a commitment to supervise three practicums within the 3-year academic period of the appointment is required).
- Discount on Sports and Recreation membership (Staff and Faculty membership) at St. George Campus (Athletic Centre, Goldring and Varsity Centre) and Scarborough Campus (Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre). Payment in person is required. Contact the Practicum Office for a Confirmation Letter.
- Recognition and appreciation of Partner Agencies on the FIFSW website.