The Practicum gives MSW students the opportunity to put their education into practice and to learn from experience. It puts the student in a setting where they can actively engage in social work, under the guidance of supervisors who work in the field.
Potential settings include a wide variety of organizations that rely on social workers, including hospitals and other health care providers, community services, educational institutions, and governments. To get a sense of the range, see the list of partners that the FIFSW works with (note that the list of partners changes from year to year).
Students will work directly with clients, experiencing real-world situations and making a real difference in the lives of the most vulnerable in our society, while being supported in this work by their Field Instructors and the FIFSW. In the second year, students also have the option of working on policies that shape how social work is implemented.
Practicum is integrated into the class schedule. During semesters when students are attending practicum, classes are scheduled entirely on certain days of the week, leaving other days free for students to work at their placements.
The practicum website includes all the information students need to participate successfully in the experiential learning part of the curriculum.
- Current Information for Students: specific, up-to-date information for students leading up to and during practicum.
- Manual: the core reference information for practicum. All students should read the manual before starting practicum, and subsequently refer to it as needed.
- Indigenous Trauma and Resiliency: information about the specialized ITR field of study
- Schedules: the schedule of events for Years 1 and 2, and the Summer Session. Includes meetings and workshops for students.
- Field Instructors: information for Field Instructors
- Practicum Administration System (PAS) Login: login pages for the system used to match students to practicums.
- Practicum Resources: references and resource material for students.
- Partner Organizations: organizations that are providing placements in the current year.
- Contact Information: contact information for the FIFSW Practicum Office.