Admission Requirements: MSW-ITR Field of Study
1. Candidates for admission to the ITR Field of Study require an appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, and shall have achieved at least a mid-B or better in the final year of full-time study or equivalent, in senior level courses (300 or 400 level).
Note: According to the School of Graduate Studies Calendar, section 5.1, “an appropriate bachelor’s degree that has appropriate breadth, depth and, where appropriate, an affinity to the graduate program to which the applicant is seeking admission as determined by the School of Graduate Studies”.
2. All applicants must have completed satisfactorily at least three full courses, or their equivalent, in the social sciences, to include a half-credit course in research methodology, preferably in the social sciences. A grade less than mid-B in the required half-credit course in research methodology will lessen the applicant’s probability of admission.
3. Candidates must have at least three years of work experience in the social service/Indigenous services sector.
4. As part of the application process, applicants may be asked to participate in an in-person or Skype interview.
5. Candidates must show evidence of facility in the English language. If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, then you must demonstrate your facility in English by completing one of the tests listed below:
- TOEFL Paper-Based Test Score of 580 and TWE Score of 5
- Internet–based TOEFL Test Score of 22/30 for both the Writing and Speaking Sections, with an overall TOEFL Score of 93/120
- ELTS Minimum required score: 7.0 (Academic) with at least 6.5 for each component
- The Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE) – Required score: 76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component)
- International ESL Program, School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto Required score: a final grade of B in Level 60
- Cambridge English – C1: Advanced and C2: Proficiency Required score: 185 overall with at least 176 for each component. Cambridge University Press and Assessment email@example.com http://www.cambridgeenglish.org. Applicants should use the “Send Your Result” function on the Candidate Results portal (https://candidates.cambridgeenglish.org) to send their results electronically to the University of Toronto
6. If you have an International Degree, please use the International Credentials Equivalency tool to see the credentials required from the country of your degree conferral for master’s and doctoral admissions at the University of Toronto.