Skip to Main Content

Policies & Orientation

The Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work is a member of the School of Graduate Studies. As such, all policies, dates, and deadlines must meet School of Graduate Studies requirements.

Students register for courses online through ACORN.

Academic Integrity
Grading Policies
Absence Due to Illness
Coursework Extensions/Late Assignments
Failed Courses
Field of Study Selection – Change after deadline
Disputed Papers & Examinations
Temporary Leave from the Faculty
Withdrawal from the Faculty
FIFSW Social Media Policy

Orientation and New Students

Welcome MSW Students!

As the summer draws to a close, we look forward to coming together as a community of learners, thinkers, and changers in the fall!

Final agendas for the MSW Orientation and Introduction to Social Work Conference will be made available soon!

Should you have any questions about Orientation Week, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Associate Dean’s Office at

Orientation events

August 23, 2022, 9:00am-11:00am
International Student Orientation
Attendees: New and returning International Students

A reading list from Cynthia Wesley-Esquimaux, Chair on Truth and Reconciliation in Canada for Lakehead University


September 7th, 8:30am-3:00pm
MSW Orientation
Attendees: Incoming 2-Year MSW expected


September 8th, 8:30am – 3:00pm & September 9th, 8:30am-3:00pm
Introduction to Social Work Conference
Attendees: Incoming 2-Year MSW expected


September 7th-9th, 9:00am – 4:30pm
Advance Standing Practice Seminar
Attendees: Incoming Advanced Standing MSW students only


September 6, 10:00am – Noon
School of Graduate Studies Orientation Session (Optional)
Attendees: Incoming 2-Year MSW, Advanced Standing MSW, MSW-ITR


September 12th and 13th, 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Writing and Library Workshop at the Graduate Level Workshop (Optional)
Attendees: Incoming 2-Year MSW


September 16, 9:30am – 1:00pm
ITR Orientation 
Attendees: Incoming MSW-ITR expected
Sunrise Ceremony and Breakfast – 6:30am location TBD


September 26, 12:15pm – 1:15pm
IPE Orientation 
Attendees: All Cohort

We are so excited to welcome all of you to the FIFSW!

Key Links for New Students



Grading Policies

The University Grading Practices Policy is available through the School of Graduate Studies. It defines the grade scale as follows:

Letter Grade Scale

Numerical Scale of Marks


90 – 100%


85 – 89%


80 – 84%


77 – 79%


73 – 76%


70 – 72%


0 – 69%

*FZ = Fail

Written assignments will be graded on their clarity, comprehensiveness, originality, appropriate use of reference materials and technical adequacy. Papers are expected to be of sufficient quality as to represent your growing professionalism and competence. All written work must be typewritten and in APA reference format.


  • Failure to attend classes, complete assignments, or sit for examinations does not constitute official withdrawal.
  • Leaving without completing the official SGS Program Change Form for withdrawal from the program leads to forfeiture of your right to any refund of fees.
  • INC (permanent incomplete) or WDR (withdrawal), if there are medical documentation, is entered for all courses not completed. Withdrawal after the first of March will be regarded as failing the year unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Back to Top


Absence Due to Illness

Please notify your instructor if illness will interfere with your class attendance.

If illness is likely to interfere with your meeting a due date for an assignment or other requirements, you should have your physician or health care provider complete a Verification of Student Illness or Injury Form at the time of your illness and submit it to the instructor. You must inform the instructor of the illness on or before the deadline date.

Back to Top

Failed Courses

When a student obtains a grade of FZ or NCR in a course, the student will need to either repeat the course or complete another course successfully to fulfill degree requirements. If the failed course is a required course it must be repeated or it can be replaced by a course with similar content if approved by the Associate Dean, Academic/Graduate Coordinator. If the failed course is an elective, it can be replaced by another elective course.

In the event that a student does not complete two or more required courses, or receives an FZ (inadequate) after repeating any course, normally steps will be taken by the Faculty to recommend the termination of the student’s registration.

Field of Study Selection for two-year MSW program

Returning two-year MSW students for Fall term must select their Field of Study by the beginning of February in year one. This selection is viewed as a final decision. Students who wish to request a change in Field of Study must do so by mid-April to Field of Study change requests will not be accepted after mid-April.

Students who request a change in Field of Study will be placed on a waiting list, which will remain active until the end of June of year one. Admittance to a new Field of Study from the waitlist will be determined based on availability and waitlist order at the time of initial request. It is the student’s responsibility to check with the Practicum Office to verify alignment between their desired Field of Study and practicum prior to requesting a change.

Disputed Papers and Examinations

See section on Academic Appeals.


A student who has failed an examination may be provided with a photocopy of the answer paper in order to review the examination within two weeks of notification of the grade. (Since University regulations require departments to retain all examination papers for one year, they may not be returned to examinees. A nominal charge will be made for locating and photocopying an examination paper upon the student’s request to the Faculty’s General Office).

Procedures Covering Illness or Other Absences from the Practicum

(See also Temporary Leave from the Faculty)

If you are unable to be in your practicum setting on a practicum day, you must notify your Field Instructor immediately. If unable to reach the Field Instructor, you should notify your Faculty Field Liaison directly or leave a message in the Practicum Office and request assistance. See Practicum Manual for requirements to make up missed time.


Educational Review

For more information

Back to Top


Temporary Leave from the Faculty

For exceptional health problems or serious personal circumstances, and for parental leave to provide full time care in the first year of parenting a new child, a student may apply for a pause in his/her studies of up to three consecutive terms (fall, winter and summer). To apply for a leave download the School of Graduate Studies Leave of Absence form. Normally the start and finish of the leave would coincide with the beginning or end of the session.



Withdrawal from the Faculty

If you decide to withdraw from the program, the procedure is as follows:

  1. Complete a School of Graduate Studies Program Withdrawal Form available from the SGS web site.
  2. Rebate of fees, if any, is determined by the date on which your withdrawal form is received at the SGS. Charges for fees are pro-rated from the beginning of the academic year to the effective date of withdrawal on the basis of a twenty-week program. Your full academic fee will be refunded if you withdraw during the first two weeks of the program. Incidental fees are not refundable after December 31st.
  3. The Program Withdrawal Form is signed by the Associate Dean, Academic/Graduate Coordinator and is sent to the School of Graduate Studies for final approval. Fees are refunded based on the date that the School of Graduate Studies receives the Program Withdrawal form, for processing.
Back to Top