ITR Practicum FAQs
Can I do my practicum at my place of employment?
- Some students are able to secure practicums at their place of employment.
- Requirements in order to meet eligibility:
- Your role as a practicum student must be distinct from your role as an employee.
- Your supervisor must be distinct from your employment supervisor/manager.
- The same field instructor standards must be met.
- To review full eligibility criteria, check out the Employment-Based Practicum Application (PDF).
- Make sure you are working with the ITR Practicum Coordinator as you develop your plan for an Employment-Based Practicum.
There is no BSW or MSW working in my community. How will I complete my practicum hours without having to leave my community?
- If you are living in a remote community and there isn’t an MSW to supervise your practicum, the practicum office will work with you to find a suitable practicum in your home community.
- This may mean setting up a practicum where you are supervised by an on-site supervisor without a social work designation, while also receiving external supervision from someone with their MSW. This latter person would provide regular supervision (weekly or bi-weekly), to ensure that you are making connections between the theory you are learning in class and the work you are doing in practicum.
- Virtual practicums are fully supported so you may also seek a practicum opportunity outside of your home community.