IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PRACTICM II COURSE 2020-2021 – April 28, 2020
TO: Returning YEAR I students and Incoming Advanced Standing Students
We hope this note finds you well. A warm welcome to students new to the FIFSW.
We are writing to update you with information about the Practicum II course fall/winter 2020/21.
In February 2020, the Practicum Office began a well
Due to COVID-19, our efforts are temporarily paused as we support students currently in practicums. Recruitment will commence again shortly. As soon as possible, we will provide you with a schedule for practicum selection and the remote practicum interviews.
Here is information to consider:
1. Our National Accrediting Body – the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE) and the University has approved to April 2021 if necessary, a reduction in the number of required practicum hours to 337.5 (48.2 7-hour days).
2. While the formal planned start date is Wednesday September 16, 2020, a later start (in collaboration with your field instructor) is acceptable. A later start date with the reduced hours does not compromise completion by the expected date in April 2021.
3. The Practicum Office does not, to date, have confirmation whether “in-person” practicums will be allowed in whole or in part. Current YEAR I students and students in practicums this summer 2020, are undertaking only remote activities. All practicum activities for now and until further notice, are remote.
4. We encourage you to consider a practicum with organizations currently accepting applications, where students from other educational institutions may also apply (competitive), the organization may be located outside the Toronto area, or the practicum may be offered on a different schedule than the fall/winter semester. As the Practicum Office is made aware of these opportunities, details are posted on the website at: https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/practicum/for-students/current-practicum-opportunities/
5. If you wish, you may elect a Summer 2021 practicum in lieu of beginning in Fall 2020. Please inform the Practicum Office.
6. As all FIFSW classes will take place remotely for the Fall 2020 semester, if you live outside the Toronto area you may consider a practicum in your home community, province, state or country. Please contact the Practicum Office to discuss.
7. A NEW ELIGIBLE PRACTICUM OPTION: Given the uniqueness of these times, you may wish to explore practicums in your current agency of employment, volunteer organizations OR seek new paid opportunities that you believe will meet the competencies and learning objectives of our social work program. Employment-based/paid and volunteer practicums will be considered. An application form is attached. All practicum activities for now and until further notice, are remote.
Please contact the Practicum Office with questions or concerns email@example.com
We will continue to provide updates by email and website: COVID-19 Impact on Practicum courses.
The Practicum Office
Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work
University of Toronto