Skip to Main Content

I finished my practicum. Why do I still have IPR on my grade transcript?

The practicum course is not completed in a single term. The course carries over two terms.

At the end of the first term, IPR (in progress) appears for that session on the student’s transcript. At the end of the second term, when the practicum is completed and the credit form received, CR (Credit) is recorded and appears on the transcript for that session.

The credit will only appear at the end of the Practicum in the semester in which it is completed.

The IPR remains on the transcript.

For students who have extensions, IPR appears in the first session. SDF (standing deferred) appears in the session the grade is expected. Once the credit form is submitted, the SDF will change to CR.

Where can I find practicum information for International Students?

To study in Canada, you need a study permit, which is issued by the Canadian Government. In addition, in order to complete (a) practicum(s) in Canada, please ensure you have the required documents. Information for the Study Permit and the Co-Op Work Permit as well as the Medical examination can be found at

For practicum-specific information:

Am I required to have a police check done for my practicum?

Agencies that offer a practicum(s) will likely require a current Vulnerable Persons Criminal Record check prior to commencing the Practicum. Failure to pass this check may jeopardize your entry to practicum.
There is a cost and time factor associated with the Vulnerable Persons Criminal Record check. A delay in obtaining the results can impact the start time of your practicum. The agency determines how current the results need to be.
In anticipation of this requirement for your practicum, it is strongly recommended that you begin this process early. (For information about a vulnerable sector reference, including recent changes, see the Toronto Police website.

Is it necessary that my practicum complies with my declared field of study?

As stated in the Program Description booklet, and on the FIFSW website Program Description, Practicum II “must comply with the student’s declared field of study.” Course instructors may design assignments to integrate with the field experience. Field instructors expect that the theory obtained in your courses will be applied in the practicum. One of the six competency domains on which students are evaluated is “Conceptualizing Practice.”

How do I become a Field Instructor?

All students are encouraged to become a field instructor after graduation. Students interested in becoming a field instructor are asked to:

  • provide their personal e-mail address to the Practicum Office with the intention that they will be e-mailed an invitation to be a field instructor in the future;
  • attend the annual February noon-hour Panel of Field Instructors to have their questions answered; and
  • view two videos about becoming a field instructor: Rob McFadden videoBlair Audet video.

For more information, see the Becoming a Field Instructor page.

How can I give feedback about practicum-related issues?

Your feedback is important to us. Students and field instructors have several avenues to provide feedback about the practicum course. These include:

  • Practicum Advisory Committee (PAC); (contact the GSA to become a rep, or the Practicum Office for the meeting schedule)
  • Ad hoc committees to address issues / projects arising
  • Practicum Information Sessions
  • Year 1 Monday noon-hour drop-in (after Practicum Information Sessions to end of December)
  • Year 1 Forum (4 weeks after Year 1 practicum commences)
  • Year 2/Advanced standing Forum (4 weeks after Year 2 practicum commences)
  • Open door policy in Practicum Office – 4th Floor
  • Dean, Assistant Dean Field Education, Associate Dean Academic
  • Field Instructor(s)
  • Education Coordinator
  • Faculty-Field Liaison (FFL)
  • Online FFL / student meeting feedback form (after each meeting)
  • Online practicum exit feedback form (end of practicum)

What is an FFL?

Your assigned FFL, or Faculty Field Liaison, is your “go-to person” during your practicum.  As well as being available to support your success and for questions and consultation, your FFL is available to discuss concerns and challenges in your practicum. The FFL also provides support for the Field Instructor and Education Coordinator.

Why is my work/volunteer experience not considered when I am matched for an interview?

The FIFSW acknowledges that many students bring a wealth of personal/volunteer/work experience. The social work practicum will provide students with transferable social work skills and universal competencies for social work practice with diverse client systems, integrating social work theory with practice.

I was confirmed to start practicum at a particular organization, and it is now cancelled. What happened?

Occasionally organizations withdraw their availability because of restructuring in the organization, the resignation/illness/position change of a field instructor, etc. Should a practicum be withdrawn, the Practicum Office will work with students to find an alternate practicum.

Can I trade practicums with a classmate after I have been assigned?

Students may trade practicums before any contact with field instructors is made. Contact the Practicum Office to make a trade.