- This event has passed.
Shared Unity, Shared Action: Dismantling Anti-Asian Racism
March 31 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
The Anti-Racism & Cultural Diversity Office joins the University of Toronto in condemning anti-Asian racism, misogyny, and all forms of racial violence. There is no denying the pain, sadness, and anger that many are feeling given recent events of racial and gender-based violence in Atlanta, Georgia. As we navigate and action-plan during these difficult times, the Anti-Racism & Cultural Diversity Office invites the community to collectively gather to confront, resist and denounce racism, anti-Asian racism, and White supremacy. Join us as we ignite love, compassion, support and restoration while building community during these challenging times.
This space will center a presentation and Q &A with May Lui, Educator and Consultant, on the topic, “Confronting Anti-Asian Racism: What you Need to Know”. This conversation will explore the complexities of anti-Asian racism, its impact and the principles that must be centered as we move forward to meaningful change.
- Format: Presentation and Q & A, followed by a closure activity.
- Platform: Virtual- Zoom.
- Audience: Racialized voices will be prioritized. Allies are welcome to attend. Open to students, staff, faculty, librarians, chaplains, and external community.
Please note that Jia Yao and Bristy Chakrabarty from the Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre, will be available for support during this event.
- Opening Remarks: Karima Hashmani, Executive Director, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion | Office of Vice-President Human Resources & Equity
- Remarks and Moment of Silence: Dr. Joseph Wong, Vice President, International | University of Toronto
- Keynote Presentation: May Lui, Educator and Consultant
- Closure Activity: Co-Facilitated by Anti-Racism & Cultural Diversity Office and the Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre