- This event has passed.
March 25, 2013 @ 12:00 pm - 1:15 pm
Calling Social Work to Action: Policy Advocacy to Bridge Local/Global Issues
Monday, March 25, 2013
12:00 to 1:15 pm (light refreshments served)
Room 320 (student/staff lounge)
On March 25, 2013 the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work is hosting its third ‘Community Dialogues’ forum to engage social work students, alumni and practitioners to discuss current policy issues in our globalized world. This forum will include interactive displays produced by students in the Social Justice & Diversity specialization on the theme of Social Work Responses to Globalization and Transnationalization.
We will use a Global Café format to invite folks attending the forum to visit each display and share their experiences and strategies for engaging in policy advocacy through local, regional, national and global networks.
The topics to be featured in this forum include:
– Stopping Cuts to Canada’s Foreign Aid
– Food Security—Exploring the Local + Global Connection
– Safe for Whom? The Safe Streets and Community Act
– Examining Legislation Affecting Indigenous Communities
– Does Canada Provide Refuge for Refugee and Immigrants?
– Grief and Bereavement—Working towards Social Justice
– Unaccompanied Minors Seeking Asylum in Canada
– Youth Justice—Current Policies and Potential for Change
This event is an initiative of the FIFSW Social Justice and Diversity specialization with support from the Alumni Association.
Light refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP to Rupaleem Bhuyan ( firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 22nd, 2013.