Skip to Main Content

A referee I want doesn’t have an institution or organization email address – what should I do?

A valid institution or organization email address is necessary for a referee to upload their letter. Email addresses that are shared, anonymous, generic or not linked to an institution, organization or business are not acceptable (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo!).  We strongly suggest you choose a referee who has a valid institution or organization email address. If an individual doesn’t have a valid email address, look at designating a different referee. If (despite your best effort) absolutely no alternative referee with a valid institution or organization email address is possible, you can enter a non-institution or non-organization email address in the online admissions application (it’s not necessary to contact us). Be aware this may delay review of your application as we must verify the authenticity of reference letters received in this manner. For every referee, enter a telephone number where they can be reached for our verification purposes.

I received an offer of admission. May I request a deferral?

Deferrals of admission are only permitted for extenuating circumstances.

I plan to apply and I’m currently in my final year of my bachelor’s program. I will send in the transcripts by the November 1st recommended deadline date, however, I am taking a number of half-term courses and grades will be available in late January. Can I send in an updated transcript at that time? Where do I send the transcript?

You may upload an unofficial transcript directly onto the SGS online portal, under the document: Updated transcript.

When will decisions be mailed out regarding the MSW Program?

Admission offer letters will be sent out from mid-February to mid-April. As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision made. By mid-April all decisions will be sent out.

I missed the MSW Application Deadline Date. Can I still apply?

We do not accept late applications.

I did not complete a full course load in my final year. How will my GPA be calculated?

As an example, if you are only taking three courses from Sept – April, we will count back and include any summer courses you may have taken, and/or the previous Winter. In terms of how many credits – it must be the equivalent of a full-course load – minimum of four full credits at the senior level.

My referee cannot submit the reference by the application deadline specified. Can they still submit a reference?

Yes: Referees will be permitted to upload the completed reference via the SGS online portal.

The MSW application process requires three references, including one academic from a university course instructor. I have been out of university for just over two years, and the majority of my professors have moved on to other teaching/research opportunities or do not remember me. Can I substitute the academic reference with a professional reference within the social work field who are quite familiar with the knowledge and skills set it takes to effectively practice social work?

If you feel strongly that you cannot submit an academic reference, it is recommended that you include a cover letter with your Resume, explaining your choice of referees.

Does an academic reference have to be specifically from a professor or can it be from someone that I do academic work for (researching, analysing, writing manuscripts by deadlines, etc.)?

The academic reference should be from a professor who is able to comment on your academic ability. You should review our current reference form with the professor you are working with, and if they can comment on most of the areas, the reference should be acceptable. If not, we would recommend asking a former professor from your undergraduate program.

Will the committee consider a letter that was written over two years ago?

All references submitted must be current.