Graduate Student Association
The Graduate Student Association (GSA) was founded in 1941 and is regarded as an essential element in the life of the Faculty. It is associated with the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) at the University of Toronto and includes all Master students enrolled in the Faculty. The GSA meets regularly with the Dean, the Associate Dean, and Faculty staff to advocate for students and coordinate student activities in the educational and political processes of the Faculty.
The objectives of the GSA are to:
- Enhance communication among students, faculty, staff and our social work community;
- Represent social work students in university matters;
- Connect students with social agencies and the social work community;
- Promote community building and social action among the student body;
- Monitor and evaluate social work education;
- Initiate and administer a program of extra-curricular activities;
- Welcome and orient students entering the Faculty.
The G.S.A. presents annual awards for excellence in teaching. The Executive meet regularly with the Dean, the Associate Dean, and the M.S.W. Program Director. This enables the Council to respond to student concerns and coordinate student activities in the educational and political processes of the Faculty. In this regard, it is important to maintain linkages with students in other schools of social work, particularly through attendance at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work.
Meet the 2020-2021 GSA Team:
- Co-Presidents: Nalian Youmer & TBA
- Social Coordinators: Heather Nuttall, Zeynep Acar & TBA
- Treasurer: Greig Perantinos
- Secretary: Brenna Kelly
- ITR Representative: TBA
- First Year Representative: TBA
- Advanced Standing Representative: TBA
Please visit the GSA web site for more information about the Association, as well as links to our events calendar, constitution, governance procedures, meeting minutes, and funding information. We also encourage students to email us if they wish to join the GSA and/or participate in our events!