This portal provides references and information about social work practicums, field supervision, and FIFSW practicum related undertakings.
Bogo, M., & Vayda, E. (1987). The Practice of Field Instruction in Social Work (Theory and Process With an Annotated Bibliography). University of Toronto Press.
Bogo, M., & Vayda, E. (1998). The Practice of Field Instruction in Social Work: Theory and Process, 2nd edition. Columbia University Press.
Bogo, M. (2010). Achieving Competence in Social Work through Field Education. Toronto: University of Toronto Press Incorporated.
Bogo, M., Rawlings, M., Katz, E., & Logie, C. (2014). Using Simulation in Assessment and Teaching. Alexandria: CSWE Press.
Two Special Issues of the Clinical Social Work Journal dedicated to building on the social work discipline’s tradition and commitment to the supervision of staff and field education of students. Guest Editors: Marion Bogo and Karen M. Sewell
- Special Issue on the Supervision of Staff.
This issue includes papers on the supervision of professional social work staff.
To see the Table of Contents for the Staff Supervision Issue go to:
- Special Issue on the Field Education
In the Field Education Issue attention is given to macro structural issues impinging on the profession’s capacity to provide quality learning experiences, in addition to the integration of concepts into our educational practices, and research studies that provide systematic approaches to training practicing field instructors and providing clinical supervision for students.
To see the Table of Contents for the Field Issue go to:
- Bogo, M. (2015). Field Education for Clinical Social Work Practice: Best Practices and Contemporary Challenges. Clinical Social Work Journal. Springer Science + Business Media New York.
- Social Work Students’ Experience and Management of Countertransference
Adrian van Breda, Terry Feller
- The Field Educator Simmons online journal
- UK Journal of Practice Teaching & Learning
- The US Journal of Teaching in Social Work
- Social Work Education: The International Journal
- Journal of Social Work Education
FIFSW Learning Tools
- OSCE Fact sheet for Field Instructors
- The Simulation Lab
- Bridging Class and Field – Fact Sheet
- Video: Educating Effective Social Workers
- Professor Marion Bogo addresses teaching and learning processes that lead to effective social work graduates using research on social work education that has identified a model of holistic competence for all levels of social work practice
For Year 1 Field Instructors
For Year 1 Field Instructors
Professor Marion Bogo has developed a 13 ½ minute video for Year 1 Field Instructors to explain the relationship between the first semester courses, Elements in Social Work and Social Work Laboratory, and Practicum I:
Bridging Class and Practicum_ Competencies complements the video.
Watch Professor Rob MacFadden speak about the impact of field education on social work practice:
Professor Marion Bogo discusses the challenges faced in providing high-quality, effective field instruction in Episode 65 – Doing, Thinking, Then Doing Again: Reflective Practice in Field Education
Web-based Training Modules
The Field Office at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill has developed online training modules to help create Trans-Affirming Field Placements for Social Work students. They have kindly offered to share with other field offices. You are required to create an account to access the training modules. Register here: ssw.unc.edu/sswevents
Ellen Katz – Five Minute Mindfulness Practice (audio)
- Bertha Rosenstadt Trust: As a faculty, the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work is committed to strengthening ties we have with partner organizations who offer practica to our MSW students. The Bertha Rosenstadt Trust Fund in Health Research, which is available to organizations with which we have partnerships, as well as to all other Health Sciences Faculties at U of T is one way to strengthen and cultivate quality practica.
- Interprofessional Education Materials