Follow up message to update for FIFSW Practicum I students and field | April 29, 2020
Clarification about fall courses:
Although, a final decision has not yet been determined, in all likelihood fall classes will be online. We are uncertain as to what mode of delivery the winter semester would take. Whenever classes resume in person, it would be expected that students will continue their classes in person and maybe with a compliment of some online courses if this option still persists.
David Burnes, PhD
Associate Dean, Academic
From: Practicum Office
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 3:58 PM
To Practicum I Students and Field Instructors,
Further to our email sent last Thursday April 23rd, the Practicum Office will support Practicum I field instructors and students, if they mutually agree, continuing into a Practicum II together in Summer 2020 or Fall 2020. This option will allow the student to benefit from onboarding, orientation and will build upon competencies developed in Practicum I.
At this time, we do know:
- The CASWE has reduced the number of hours required to a minimum of 337.5 for all practicums to April 2021 (summer 2020, Fall; Practicum I [if necessary] and Practicum II). As the time requirement is reduced, the start date for Practicum II can range from September to January, without compromising completion in April 2021.
- Schedules may be flexible, within the framework that Mondays and Tuesdays are protected days for FIFSW classes, and the practicum hours cannot compromise other FIFSW class time.
- Following the guidelines set out by the University for courses during the summer session, all summer practicums will take place remotely, until advised otherwise.
- FIFSW is offering its classes remotely this fall. Practicums will continue remotely until there are directives from the Faculty and practicum partners that onsite practicums can resume safely.
- If a student starts a remote practicum for the fall semester, the student is expected to maintain their remote practicum to completion.
- The deadline to ADD courses for the Summer 2020 session is May 1, 2020. An SGS Add/Drop Course Form must be completed, signed and submitted to the Practicum Office no later than 4:00 p.m. Friday May 1, 2020. This deadline is firm.
- If students opt to continue with their current field instructor(s) for the Practicum II course in Summer 2020 or Fall 2020, the match will be confirmed by the Practicum Office and the student will not take part in the PAS matching for Fall 2020.
We do not yet know:
- When Fall practicum matching through the Practicum Administration System (PAS) will occur.
FOR CURRENT PRACTICUM I STUDENTS:
- If you are completing your practicum remotely with your original field instructor(s), and your field instructor(s) (and Education Coordinator if appropriate) is in agreement, you may be able to continue with your current field instructor(s) to complete 337.5 hours for the Practicum II course in Summer 2020* or Fall 2020. With reduced hours, the intent of this offer is to:
- build upon an existing field instructor – student educational relationship,
- minimize the need for additional onboarding,
- develop further competencies, and
- potentially increase the number of practicums a field instructor can offer.
The intent is not to ‘guarantee’ a field instructor / setting in the Winter or Summer 2021 semester. For this reason, the option is not yet being considered for Winter or summer 2021. Each case will be reviewed to ensure the intent is being observed. If you wish a Practicum II with your original field instructor(s), the Education Coordinator (when there is one) must approve.
- If you are completing your Practicum I remotely and your original field instructor(s) is not able to continue, but you have been assigned a remote supervisor by the Practicum Office, you may approach your remote field instructor to discuss whether they are able to provide supervision for 337.5 additional hours to complete the requirements for the Practicum II course in Summer 2020* or Fall semester.
FOR SUMMER PRACTICUM I STUDENTS:
- Once your summer Practicum I course is underway, you may approach your field instructor(s) to explore a continuation of field instruction for your Practicum II course in the Fall. The Education Coordinator must also be in agreement.
- Student and field instructor(s) discuss and agree to continuing the practicum.
- Student sends email expressing intent to current Faculty-Field Liaison (FFL) AND Practicum Office email@example.com.
- Copy field instructor(s) and Education Coordinator, if applicable.
- Indicate whether practicum will:
(a) continue in the Summer 2020* session, or
(b) resume in Fall 2020.
- Once approved, the Practicum Office will set up on PAS and confirm the arrangement.
*Note: The deadline to ADD courses for the Summer 2020 session is May 1, 2020.
Given the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting uncertainties, the Practicum Office is striving to provide practicum experiences which meet CASWE requirements and are responsive to students. We will continue to communicate any new guidelines we receive by email and will post updates regularly on the COVID-19 impact on Practicum Courses webpage. Please contact us with any questions.
The Practicum Office
Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work
University of Toronto