Update for students completing a summer practicum course | April 22, 2020 *updated April 23, 2020
Dear Summer Practicum Students:
Given the current evolving circumstances around Covid-19, we are looking for additional ways in which to support you. We recognize that some students may wish to explore practicums in their agencies of employment OR seek new paid opportunities that would meet the learning objectives of a social work practicum.
We are reaching out to you to share an important update regarding eligible practicum activities for summer 2020 semester (and into the 2021 academic year if major COVID-19 disruptions persist).
This email is to advise you that the Practicum Office supports employment-based/paid and volunteer practicums. All practicum activities for now and until further notice, are remote.* Please see conditions below.
Highlights of the guidelines in the attached application:
- Pursuing a practicum in your current place of employment:
- Your role as an MSW practicum student must be new and distinct from your role as an employee. It is essential to your learning that you have the opportunity to gain knowledge and competencies in new methods, modalities and interventions and content areas.
- Your MSW practicum supervisor be someone other than your current employment supervisor.
- Completing your practicum through a new paid opportunity:
- If there is an agency that is willing to offer you a paid opportunity that will satisfy the learning requirements of an MSW practicum, and they are prepared to complete all practicum requirements with you (i.e.,: midterm and final evaluation, reviewing your learning contract, etc.) as well as offer regular social work supervision, then this can be considered for your practicum.
In both cases, you will be required to submit an Employment-Based/Paid Practicum Opportunity Application for approval by the Practicum Office. The application requires the signature of your field instructor and the agency’s Executive Director.
- Completing your practicum through volunteer activities:
- If an agency for which you are volunteering provides the opportunities for you to gain knowledge and competencies and they are prepared to complete all practicum requirements as well as offer regular social work supervision, then this can be considered for your practicum. Please provide the practicum office with the contact information at the agency, as we will determine whether there is an existing practicum agreement in place or a new one is needed.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
The Practicum Office
Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work
University of Toronto