COVID-19 Impact on Practicum Courses
Given the evolving situation related to COVID-19, please note that all practicum students are to now move to remote learning. At this point, summer practicums will also take place remotely.
During this time of heightened concern, FIFSW will do its utmost to support students and continue educational programs as best as possible while fulfilling our obligation to wise practice in public health and safety. The following documents include steps for students and practicum partners to adjust learning contracts to facilitate the completion of practicum hours remotely:
- FIFSW Field Education Plan during Community-Wide Disruption | April 23, 2020
- FIFSW Field Education Plan for Interruption of Practicum due to Local and Community-Wide Disruption | March 13, 2020
Practicum II Course SWK4702Y Fall/Winter 2020/21:
The MSW program is designed with classes scheduled on Mondays and Tuesdays, and Practicum II on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from the Fall 2020 semester to early April (minimum 337.5 hours). This model of training is designed in order to maximize student learning, and the development of required competencies by the integration of theory with applied learning and self-reflection.
Requesting to defer 4702
Because the demand is greater than the number of Practicum I offers, Year 1 students are given the opportunity to defer to summer semester. Practicum II students with serious and emergency health and other personal, determined on a case-by-case basis, are also given access to the limited summer practicums. The Practicum Office understands that serious and emergency health and other personal situations may prevent a student from undertaking Practicum II in Fall 2020. Under such conditions, a student may request that a deferral consideration of their Practicum II course. Each deferral will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Should you be experiencing highly unique conditions that may warrant a deferral of Practicum II to spring/summer 2021, please complete Request to defer Practicum II course and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE) has reduced time requirement (minimum 337.5 hours) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic until April 2021. The FIFSW has set out in past years the time requirement of 525 hours for the Practicum II course. This may be reinstated as of April 2021.
· The Practicum I course is scheduled during the winter/spring session, January to May 2021. Year I students will be given priority for practicums offered in January as well as in the Spring / Summer 2021 semester.
· Spring/summer 2021 practicum protocol will be determined at a later date.
- Important Practicum Information for Students – June 10, 2020
- Follow up message to update for FIFSW Practicum I students and field – April 29, 2020
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PRACTICM II COURSE 2020-2021 – April 28, 2020
- Summer 2020 Practicum Schedule and Information – April 24, 2020
- Update for FIFSW Practicum I students and field instructors – April 23, 2020
- Update on remote supervision for field instructors and students completing a current or summer practicum – April 22, 2020
- Update for students completing a summer practicum course – April 22, 2020
- Summer practicum update for students – April 17, 2020
- Update from TAHSN hospitals – March 31, 2020
- Practicum I (SWK4701H) course update – March 27, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on summer practicums – March 20, 2020
- Practicum I (SWK4701H) course update – March 19, 2020
- Practicum II (SWK4702Y) course update – March 18, 2020
- Practicum Office – March 17, 2020
If you have any questions, please contact the practicum office at practicum.fsw.utoronto.ca.